If you (or your not-so-little-anymore student) are headed off to college, plastic bins and baskets will be your new best friend! There are dozens of uses and benefits to using plastic baskets in the dorms and many apartments and shared living situations to come! And it doesn’t have to be boring. Prettier options, like the Raspberry Blumz Medium Basket with Handle are widely available, ready to make life easier on your student as he or she gets ready to hit the books big time!
Here are some tips for utilizing plastic bins throughout the college years:
- Large stacking bins are great, but they are impractical that first year of college. Save them for storage when you get your first apartment. In the meantime, underbed storage boxes are a better choice. They are long lasting and take up little space in the room.
- In the bathroom, a plastic basket with handle is a sanitary choice. Be sure to choose one with lots of holes in it to allow water to pass thru – this way it can even be left in the shower with little chance of mildew growth.
- Kitchen bins are easy to wash and maintain when made of plastic as well. Look for stacking models and add labels to keep everyone’s food separate, and the roommate bickering to a minimum.
- In the desk area, either metal or plastic are great choices. It is important to have a place to store hanging files (believe it or not, paper work still exists in this modern age)! A small portable file box is a great choice as it can travel home with students during winter and summer vacations.
- And in the trunk of the car, utilize open plastic bins to keep sports equipment and emergency supplies separated and easy to access!
The bottom line is that plastic is a great choice when you are heading off to college, as it will be with you for those four (or more) years to come!